The introduction of the QLD Government Container Refund Scheme means that we have increased some beverage prices. From 1st November 2018, you'll be able to earn a 10¢ refund for every eligible container that you return to an authorised QLD collection point.
For more information on the Government Container Refund Scheme, please visit www.containersforchange.com.au/
Frequently Asked Questions
Why has the initiative been introduced?
Single use beverage containers make up the majority of all litter found in the environment. So the QLD Government is introducing the Container Refund Scheme to encourage the community to recycle their drink containers and keep them off our streets and out of our parks.
What containers are eligible?
Most empty 150ml to 3 litre beverage containers will be eligible for a 10¢ refund. Container materials that may be eligible for a refund include:
- Plastic (PET and HDPE)
- Liquid paperboard (Cartons)
Containers should be empty and in a reasonable condition.
What containers can’t be recycled for a refund?
Containers that can’t be deposited for a refund include:
- Containers designed to contain less than 150ml or more than 3 litres of beverage
- Plain milk (or milk substitute) containers
- Flavoured milk containers of 1 litre or more
- Pure fruit or vegetable juice containers of 1 litre or more
- Glass containers for wine and spirits
- Casks for wine or water of 1 litre or more
- Sachets for wine of 250ml or more
- Containers for wine of 250ml or more
- Containers for cordials and concentrated fruit/vegetable juices
- Registered health tonics
Why is the price increase more than 10c per container?
As well as the 10c initiative refund, an initiative admin fee has been included in the price increase. This admin fee covers the cost of operating and administering the initiative.
When can I start claiming my 10c refund?
The container refunds take effect from November 1st 2018. After that date you will earn 10¢ for all eligible containers you return.
Where can I claim my 10¢ refund?
Container collection points will be located across QLD. To find your nearest collection point go to www.containersforchange.com.au/
Where can I find my nearest collection point?
To find your nearest collection point go to www.containersforchange.com.au/